|COURSE NAME||UNIVERSAL DESIGN IN MICRO-SPACE PLANNING|
|ORGANIZING INSTITUTION||Silesian University of Technology (SUT)|
|FACULTY||Faculty of Architecture in Gliwice|
|DATE, PLACE||July 09-16, 2023, Poland, Gliwice|
Óbuda Ybl Miklós Faculty Of Architecture and Civil Engineering in Budapest (YBL),
Technical University of Ostrava (VSB),
Cracow University of Technology (CUT);
PPUZ in Nowy Targ (PPUZ),
University of Silesia in Katowice (US),
Adam Mickiewicz University of Poznań (AMU)
Interdisciplinary – Eng./MSc
Instructor managing the course
SUT: Katarzyna Ujma-Wąsowicz
VSB: Eva Spackova
CUT: Agnieszka Wójtowicz-Wróbel
PPUZ: Bogusław Podhalanski
AMU: Maciej Błaszak
Universal Design is one of the key elements of humanitarian urban and building design. Design that understands the limitations and needs of people with physical, sensory and intellectual disabilities.
Realizing the principles of UD today requires interdisciplinary knowledge, which will be provided by invited lecturers from various universities.
Within the framework of the stationary classes - design workshops - the students' task will be to develop an urban-architectural concept of a given micro-space, which during staying in Poland the students will personally see and analyse.
AIM OF THE COURSE,
|The aim of the course is to develop a concept for the development of a small public space in a town in the Silesian province.|
|REGISTRATION||Online registration form|
Institutional Coordinator @InternationalMobilityOffice
Department Coordinator @ArchitectureFaculty
|PRE-REQUIREMENTS||3 semesters of Architectural studies finished|
HOURS OF ONLINE LECTURES
|15 hours (in 6 blocks)|
WORKSHOP AT THE SUT FACULTY OF ARCHITECTURE
|26 hours (in block)|
FIELD WORK AND TRAINING
|CREDITS||3 credits (ECTS) = 90 work-hours|
Gehl J.: Life Between Buildings: Using Public Space
Gehl J., Gemzoe L.: Public Spaces, Public Life
Landry, C.: The Creative City and Beyond. The Creative City: a Toolkit for Urban Innovators
Pallasmaa J.: The Eyes of the Skin
Sternberg E.M.: Healing spaces : the science of place and well-being.
REQUIRED TECHNICAL APPLIANCES /
Contact: Moodle and E-mail
Education materials: Moodle
Hotels around SUT
Short-term apartment rental around Gliwice
Microplanning is addressed to the problems of small spaces in the city structure, which have the potential to be an important place for the local community and to bring about image and pro-social changes. It is not a new issue in the world, but in Poland, for mundane reasons, local decision-makers, for various reasons, aim to change the image of these spaces. On the other hand, the microplanning methodology is based on reliable pre-project research conducted with the participation of all stakeholders, including in particular potential users of the developed area.
This will be done through interdisciplinary cooperation with the professions (cognitive scientist, aesthetician-philosopher) that are increasingly influential today in shaping "universal space" - accessible to every user.
Within the framework of the project, groups of several (international) students will be formed to develop a concept for the development of a given public space, that is located in Ślemień – small town on south of Poland.
TOPIC NO. 1 Revitalization of the historic park in Ślemień together with the pond
Total area: 0.8986 ha - park area: 0.7042 ha, pond area: 0.1944 ha.
- Construction of lawns and planting
- Installation of landscaping elements („small architecture”)
- Renovation of alleys, if necessary, designation and construction of new paths
- Care and protection of the historic linden tree
- Installation of lighting and monitoring
- Renovation of pergolas
- Improving the natural qualities of the park
- Development of the existing meeting place in the park and expansion of the meeting place beyond the shelter located in the park
- Development of the pond area
TOPIC NO. 2 Development of a public sports field in the municipality of Ślemień
Plot area: 1.3134 ha.
The field currently serves all residents of the Slemień municipality and the local sports club LKS Smrek Slemień.
- A pitch with an artificial surface for soccer in accordance with the guidelines of the Polish Football Association (up to the 3rd league)
- Proper lighting of the pitch
- Drainage + piping on the south side and partially on plot 207/8
- Superstructure of the building in the shape of a horseshoe
- Sports tribune in front of the aforementioned building
- Creation of a warm-up area
- Development of a small building on the west side for the needs of local athletes (locker rooms, gyms)
- Utility building (for mowers, plows, etc.)
- Leaving the existing playground in place
- Creation of a relaxation area on the east side
Stage for the needs of the Municipality - permanent? Space for a folding stage?