The Faculty of Electrical Engineering of the Silesian University of Technology was formally established by the decree of May 24, 1945. Its foundation followed the implementation of an idea of creating a technical university intended to help with the reconstruction and economic development of heavily industrialized region of Upper Silesia.
At the beginning, the Faculty consisted of 12 departments. The Faculty employed 45 academic teachers, while the majority of professors who joined in the academic year of 1945/46 formerly worked at the Lvov University of Technology. The first program of study was almost identical with that from Lvov.
Teaching began in very primitive conditions. Adapted buildings did not satisfy even the most basic needs, as they were partially destroyed. With time, the municipal authorities provided the Silesian University of Technology with a building which, before the war, functioned as a state high school. That building became the seat of the Faculty of Electrical Engineering.
Over the years, the organizational structure of the Faculty has changed numerous times. In 1994, Faculty launched PhD studies for the first time. Since the very beginnings, the Faculty of Electrical Engineering has offered full-time and part-time courses in Electrical Engineering. Following changing market requirements and expectations of employers, a course in Electronics and Telecommunications was launched in 1995, and in 2008 two new courses, Computer Science and Mechatronics, were introduced. Since 2011, second degree studies in the field of Mechatronics have been conducted in the full-time and part-time system. In the 2013/2014 academic year, a new course Power Engineering was launched.
In 2017, the course in Electrical Engineering received an outstanding program evaluation of the Polish Accreditation Committee at the level of first and second cycle studies. The Presidium of the Polish Accreditation Committee confirmed the high quality of education in the field of electrical engineering based on five criteria: the concept of education and its compliance with the mission and strategy of the University; educational program; academic teachers; internationalization of studies and infrastructure used in the education process.
In 2018 the courses in Computer Science and Mechatronics received a positive opinion of the Polish Accreditation Committee.
In 2019, the Faculty of Electrical Engineering was accredited by the Accreditation Commission of Technical Universities and (KAUT) and obtained the international accreditation.