International Mobility Office
Legalization of stay
„Registration of residence of a European Union citizen EU citizen has the right to stay for a period longer than three months, if he/she satisfies one of the following conditions:
Where and when to submit an application
- is an employee or is self-employed in the territory of the Republic of Poland;
- is in the possession of sufficient financial means to support themselves and their family members, so that they are not a weight for the social security system, is in the possession of proper health insurance;
- studies or participates in vocational training in the territory of the Republic of Poland:
a) is in the possession of sufficient financial means to support themselves and their family members, so that they are not a weight for the social security system, is in the possession of proper health insurance,
- is a spouse of Polish citizen.
The application for the registration of residence of a UE citizen should be submitted in person to the voivode competent for the EU citizen’s place of residence, not later than the next business day after the expiration of 3 months period from the date of entry into the territory of the Republic of Poland. The requirement of personal submission does not apply to a minor.
Residence registration obligation does not apply to an EU citizen who entered the Polish territory in search of work and who can stay in Poland without having to meet the conditions of residence for a period not exceeding six months, or longer if person concerned can prove that he/she actively continue to seek employment and has genuine employability.
- A completed application form for registration of residence of an EU citizen;
- A valid travel document or other valid document confirming his/her identity (original available for inspection).
- Note: In the case of lack of any of the above listed documents an alien will be asked to supplement it within 7 days of receipt of the call under pain of leaving the application without consideration.
- the certificate of registration of residence of an UE citizen, issued to an UE citizen, with whom the family member resides on the territory of the Republic of Poland.
- state or non-state higher education institution certificate of enrolment or referral for vocational training,
- a document confirming inclusion in health insurance system or entitlement to use health service provisions on the basis of the regulations on coordination of social security systems or possession of private insurance,
- a proof confirming the possession of sufficient financial means to support themselves and their family members, so that they are not a weight for the social security system;
A confirmation of possession of legal tenders in a bank or another financial institution, confirmed by a stamp and a signature of an authorised employee of the bank or the institution, issued no later than a month before the submission of the application for registration of residence.
Note: In case of the need for explanation or clarification of the evidence in the case, which are in possession by the governmental body during the proceedings, the alien may be requested to provide additional documents or to give evidence of the circumstances referred to in the application.
There is no fee for registration of residence and issuance of certificate of registration of residence of an EU citizen.
Stamp duty for filing the power of attorney – PLN 17.00
The case is handled immediately.
Information about the issued document
EU citizen, whose residence was registered, is issued with certificate of registration of residence of an EU citizen. In the course of a receipt of the certificate there is a requirement of presenting valid travel document. If the document will be received by the applicant’s attorney there is also a need to present the power of attorney to receive the certificate. An UE citizen may present other document confirming his/her identity and citizenship.
Penalties for failure to obtain a residence card of a family member of an EU citizen Evasion of the obligation to have a residence card of a family member of a citizen is subject to a fine.”
Application for registering the residence