Faculty of Electrical Engineering - History
Faculty of Electrical Engineering of the Silesian University of Technology was formally established by the decree of May 24, 1945. Its foundation followed the implementation of an idea of creating a technical university intended to help with the reconstruction and economic development of heavily industrialized region of Upper Silesia.
The original structure of the Faculty included 12 departments. The Faculty employed 45 academic teachers, while the majority of professors who joined in the academic year of 1945/46 formerly worked at the Lvov University of Technology. The first programme of study was almost identical with that from Lvov.
Teaching began in very primitive conditions. Adapted buildings did not satisfy even the most basic needs, as they were partially destroyed. With time, the municipal authorities provided the Silesian University of Technology with a building which, before the war, functioned as a state high school. That building became the seat of the Faculty of Electrical Engineering.
Over the years, the organizational structure of the Faculty has changed numerous times. In 1994, Faculty launched PhD studies for the first time. Since the very beginnings, Faculty of Electrical Engineering has offered full-time and part-time courses in Electrical Engineering. Following changing market requirements and expectations of employers, a course in Electronics and Telecommunications was launched in 1995, and in 2008 two new courses, Computer Science and Mechatronics, were introduced.