Monday, July 13, 2020
The Silesian University of Technology among the European Universities
The Silesian University of Technology is one of the winners of the 2nd call for European Universities. Out of 62 submitted applications, the European Commission selected 24 consortia.
The Silesian University of Technology has submitted the application titled: "The European University Alliance on Responsible Consumption and Production EURECA-PRO" in a consortium with 6 universities:
• University of Leoben, Austria
• Technical University Freiberg, Germany
• University of Petrosani, Romania
• University of Leon, Spain
• Technical University of Crete, Greece
• Mittweida University of Applied Sciences, Germany
The leader of the consortium is the University of Leoben, with which the Silesian University of Technology has been actively cooperating for years. The Silesian University of Technology and partner universities dedicated their application to the 12th sustainable development goal (SDG12), adopted by the United Nations in 2015 under the name of "Responsible consumption and production".
- The increase in internationalisation is one of the main goals of the development strategy of the Silesian University of Technology for the period 2016-2024. In 2019 we were awarded the status of a research university in the competition of the Ministry of Science and Higher Education "Excellence Initiative – Research University", leaving the door wide open for Polish science on the global arena. As part of this programme, we undertake many initiatives and implement scientific and research projects in cooperation with partners from European, Asian or American countries. The success of the Silesian University of Technology in the European Universities competition additionally confirms that science is an extremely important element of our Region's potential. Our presence in European Universities Consortium is a consequence of the hard work of the Silesian University of Technology on the international arena in the last few years. We used our human capital and experience. This success confirms our maturity and a partner attitude in building an international network of contacts and cooperation - says the Rector of the Silesian University of Technology, Professor Arkadiusz Mężyk.
According to the Ministry of Science and Higher Education: "European Universities are a kind of transnational alliance of higher education institutions from across the EU. They will form the basic network of universities in the territory of the Union, enabling students to obtain degrees by combining studies in several EU countries and contributing to the development of international competitiveness of European universities. They share a long-term strategy in the field of education, promotion of European values and strengthening of European identity. Their main objective is to increase the mobility of students, academic staff and the scientific community, as well as to support the quality, integration and competitiveness of European higher education."
Visualization of the map of Europe with the location of the partner universities of the consortium of the Silesian University of Technology.
Created: Monday, July 13, 2020 1:53 PM,
by: Joanna Hanak
Last modified: Monday, July 13, 2020 1:57 PM,
by: Joanna Hanak